Monday, October 3, 2016

What day is it, even?

See, here's what we're going to do. We're going to squint our eyes a little bit, have mercy on me, and pretend like this Monday Morning Musing wasn't written at 9:30 at night. In exchange, I'm going to tell you a little story about my day.

I had the most fantastic day!

I concurrently feel like I've been hit by a truck.

I woke up to find that the podcast I had recorded with my friend, Matt, had gone live. He's been working to get his podcast up and running (I personally think he's doing a stellar job, but I'm biased because I'm certain he hung the moon) and he asked me to be a guest. I think I erroneously referred to myself as a co-host, but I still had a good time talking to him. Maybe two hours is a bit of a stretch for a podcast, but we were having fun so we just went with it. I'm putting a link to the podcast page >>here<< but I'm warning you that it will start playing as soon as you click that link. Maybe don't click it at work. Or in front of small children. Or barnyard animals.

Later this morning, I was surprised to learn that my flash fiction story, Vinyl, had been published by Sick Lit Magazine. I was expecting it to go up on Thursday, but I was equally pleased to see it ahead of schedule. The feedback has been blissfully positive, and even new comments rolled in on Forgotten God. I'm very happy with my experience publishing with Sick Lit Magazine. Along with having the new story up, I've been contacted on Twitter by so many wonderful writers who have been messaging to talk about my work. I think that any imposter syndrome I had left is fading away. I'm feeling very welcomed into the community and meeting some great people along the way.

This has obviously been a good day, right? What in the world could possibly be making me feel so crappy? 

Well it's because I'm a gall-dern introvert. Even with all of that fun and excitement, and the really great connections with people I have loved for years AND people I've just met, I'm energy-exhausted. This whole thing has left me so overstimulated that I cannot calm down. I know I should be in bed sleeping, but if I didn't get this out, I would just lay in bed for hours writing and rewriting this post in my head. Typically, online interaction doesn't have this much of an effect on me, but tonight I feel so low that I know my smartest option is to take a few days to rest my monkey mind. Not giving myself the rest I need as an introvert inevitably leads to a messy crash that usually involves many tissues for one reason or another, and I just don't have time for that. Yes. A break is in order.