Sunday, October 9, 2016

Retreat, in both meanings of the word

I'm clearly a fan of Halloween, but even I have to admit that this October is too scary for me. Friday's political implosion pushed me over the edge and I am officially declaring that, as soon as I finish writing this post, I am going on a mental health vacation. I'm so disgusted with the state of our country. How did it come to this, America? Are these two monsters seriously the best we can do?

Intermittent digital detoxes are kind of my jam, so it's not a big deal to take the week off. I know that I'll come out of this a much happier and healthier person once I've taken time away from internet input, so I'm really looking forward to this time away. I've worked hard this weekend to tackle all of my school work due from here to next Sunday, so I'm in the clear to unplug and reset my brain and emotions.

Before I go, I believe I owe you all some links!

  • Pumpkin Spice Latte Gangster Rap: "Straight outta pumpkin" (NSFW, a lot)
  • The confessions of women who wish they'd never had kids. Try to hold your knee jerk reaction at bay and consider the greater truth of what is being said.
  • "I used to be a human being": Distraction Sickness
  • Don't know if your views put you under the Liberal or Conservative umbrella? How about a quiz from Pew Research Center?
  • I filmed another podcast episode with my friend Mat, and we talked briefly about this documentary: That Sugar Film. I highly recommend it, and I don't mind admitting that I'm donning my tinfoil conspiracy hat regarding sugar. We're being drugged to keep us dumb, and I feel like this post has now come full circle.