Monday, October 31, 2016

Happy Halloween!

And a blessed Samhain, too! This spooktacular Monday Morning Musing is coming to you from my comfy reading chair in my office. I've got my cauldron coffee mug beside me with a steaming hot cup o' Joe, and there's swing music playing softly in the background. I've got all of the elements in place to write a completely fantastic musing!

...and my brain is fuzzing out on me. There's way too much bouncing around in my head to grab onto something to muse on. How about a wee recap of a recent adventure, then?
On October 22nd, Kyle and I attended the Cleveland Witches Ball held at the Ohio City Masonic Temple. All pictures from this night are dark and grainy because the venue itself was dark and grainy. The Witches Ball was themed "Danse Macabre" and we were surrounded by both witches and skeletons! The dress was strictly formal, so I was able to dance with a tuxedo-clad Kyle, who was simultaneously rocking some hecka sexy smoky eyeliner. I was in my gigantic black tulle skirt that is filled with glitter, so I left a sparkly trail everywhere I went around the temple, which ended up being quite far, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The music was unorthodox in that it was nearly impossible to dance to. "What's a ball without dancing?" you may be asking. Indeed. We realized early into the night that if we were going to have fun, we were going to have to go rogue. I stuffed as many packages of mini Gobstoppers as I could find down my shirt (for emergencies) and we stormed the vacant dance floor, determined to dance to whatever music they sent our way. This resulted in slow dancing to many songs that probably shouldn't have been slow danced to, while I pulled a constant supply of sugar from my cleavage. We managed that for about an hour until we finally just gave up in search of something else interesting to do.

So, we explored the Masonic Temple. If we found an unlocked door we went into it, which in hindsight, is how people get killed in horror movies, but it paid off. We found the Grand Ballroom and proceeded to dance there, alone, in the dark. If we weren't trespassing and asking to get stabbed and stuffed in a well, it would have been very romantic. I had also run out of Gobstoppers by this point, so that was a bummer.

Eventually we met the owner, who was interestingly NOT a Freemason, and I asked him for an official tour because, you know, I'm a writer and I love a good story to feed my own stories. He was very happy to oblige and gave me a card to contact him to set that up, so I look forward to that adventure in the future.

That's all I've got this morning! I'm off to go refill my long-empty coffee cauldron and enjoy this frightfully glorious Halloween by putting Thriller on the record player and reading some Poe. Eat something sweet for me!