Sunday, July 24, 2016

Narrow it down

What’s nice about difficult times is that they often come with a lesson. This semester has been a doozy, to put it mildly, and the lesson it taught me was to be clear on what I want. I started out my second college career with huge ambitions, and I worried that I may have been biting off more than I could chew. With two completed semesters behind me now, I can say with certainty that I could chew the workload just fine, it just tasted terrible. I’m a hard-working, diligent student and I believe my grades reflect that.

The school agrees with me considering a few weeks ago, I was accepted into the Honors Program that they introduced last spring. It came with a hefty scholarship, and in return, I was expected to take 13 credit hours of honors courses. The problem came when I sat down with the advisor to schedule those honors courses. “The program is so new,” he explained, “that we don’t have many classes available yet. The only English Composition honors class we have, you’ve already taken, and there’s only one 3-credit Psychology class available for you to take, but we should be adding more for future semesters.” I signed up for that solitary class and left feeling like a rock was stuck in my shoe. 

The other aspect of the honors program that was clarified by the advisor was that I would be assigned a mentor according to my major, but as there are no Composition honors classes, there are no composition honors mentors. I would instead be paired with the Psychology mentor. It just happens that the psychology class I’ve taken this summer is taught by the head of the department and, you guessed it, my mentor. 

We’re going to call this professor Dr. Doctor because he is working on his second doctorate. I have been assured by everyone I meet that he is a brilliant man, with a great heart and a stellar mind, but sadly, I never got to see that aspect of him. Dr. Doctor and I got off on the wrong foot, at least from my perspective. It’s not that he did anything wrong, necessarily, but we have a clash of personalities. I am a direct “Yes or no” kind of person, concerned with efficiency and clear communication, while Dr. Doctor is more of the “Sage on the mountain” type of person, giving cryptic advice and encouraging students to use their best judgement. I struggled all semester to get any clear answers or real help from him. My final paper had to be written twice because the instructions were two pages long and meandered pendulously from point to point. I did it “wrong” the first time. Let me be clear, I knew it was “wrong” and the assignment made no sense to me, but I believed I was handing in what he asked for, with all its wrongness. He read my first draft and all I could gather out of his critique was that I had done it wrong, and it should have been like a standard paper. Well, shit! I can write standard papers! So, the second time around, I wrote it like I knew papers should be written in the first place. I got an A. In fact, I finished the class with over 100%, despite feeling like it was a complete waste of my time.

The idea of having Dr. Doctor as my mentor slowly became a rock in my other shoe, and I was developing an uncomfortable limp. As I shifted my thoughts from the summer semester to the fall, I sat down to really think about where I was going to go from here and whether or not it was worth making the trip with this limp. The lesson from the difficult semester came to me then: “Nicole, what do you want?” 

I started working this out with some retrospection. I went back to school because I wanted to continue educating myself. In that regard, I have been successful. I wanted to get involved with college life to experience what I missed the first time around. By joining the LGBT group and subsequently falling into an officer role, I have been successful. I wanted to take classes to better my writing. As the only writing classes I have taken so far were Composition 1 (because my ACT scores expired a long time ago and my test-out was no longer valid from 1998) and Business Writing (which isn’t real writing, if you ask me), I have not been successful. Memos and dossiers and proposals? My brain was numb, not engaged. 

Finally, I wanted to major in Psychology because the subject is fascinating to me. I passed the basic Psychology course many years ago, so I didn’t need to take it again. Instead, what I was left with were specialized courses. As I thought about this further, the ache in my heel indicated that I was finally getting to the root of the issue. I sat down with my schedule, my notes, my graduation requirements, and the list of classes to hash this out once and for all. What I realized was that, save for one Abnormal Psychology class, I wasn’t interested in the specialized classes I needed to take for my major. From there the answer was clear: I need to drop the Psychology major. I went into it with high hopes, but I can see now that I am wasting my time, money, and energy. I reconfigured what my future would look like without Psychology and discovered that, by focusing on English Composition alone, I will be graduating in the spring. 

Ah, but remember the Honors Program? There are no classes for my Composition major, but if there were, with graduation happening in two semesters, there really isn’t enough time to meet the 13 credit hour requirement. Running everything through the “What do I want?” filter again, I understood that being in the Honors Program wasn’t really going to benefit me at all. Sure, it comes with a scholarship, but what good is a scholarship if it means you’ll be going to school longer just to get your degree? I would actually save more money by graduating quickly than by allowing the scholarship to be a buffer against tuition. Furthermore, while I will fully admit that I was excited about joining a slew of honors clubs, I realize joining them all would just be a waste of my time. Without the Psychology major, I cannot join their honor society, Psi Beta. But I can still join Phi Theta Kappa, which is the National Honor Society. A week ago, I had three honors groups available to me, but I’m sure one will be plenty. 

I came to college to open doors, but here I am preparing to close some really big ones. Dropping a major and saying no to the Honors Program seems like a really bad idea, academically. What about me, personally? What do I want? I want to creatively write, and I realize that by closing these doors, I will be able to redirect my resources back to what will nurture that. I can focus on classes I will enjoy, or will at least help me reach my higher goals. I can more quickly graduate to either move on to another school to seek the next degree, or I can just put my degree in a nice frame and hang it on the wall beside my other awards and accomplishments, to think about warmly when I dust it from time to time. 

This has been my take-away from this semester. I can be, and should be, selective. If I’m miserable, walk away. If I’m not being fulfilled, stop putting energy into it. If the “benefits” are really a ball and chain around my ankle, get out. I do not have to do anything that brings me unnecessary stress or work when I have my goals clearly defined. This means being clear about what I want for myself and the path I want to take to get there. I’m a hard-working and intelligent woman—I have more than proven this—and it takes wisdom to locate what truly serves me. The past few months, I have put too many things in the way of my progress and it’s time to start letting go.